FilmScene is hiring a Head Projectionist
JOB POSTING – HEAD PROJECTIONIST AND FACILITIES MANAGER
Date of Hire: Open until filled
Full-time, at will, exempt position
Reports to Director
FilmScene is looking for a dedicated Head Projectionist and Facilities Manager with a passion for excellent film presentation and a do-it-all approach to keeping a first-class cinema in excellent working order. The successful candidate will help oversee film and event presentation, technical matters and general facilities upkeep at FilmScene’s Scene 1 Cinema, a non-profit art house movie theater located on the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City.
FilmScene has a small but growing staff, and a successful candidate will require a diverse set of technical skills and a dedication to the highest possible standards in film presentation. As FilmScene is a full-time movie theater, much of the work takes place on weekends, nights and holidays.
- The head projectionist and facilities manager is responsible for providing FilmScene patrons with a flawless cinematic experience by effectively managing the operation, maintenance, and modification of all FilmScene equipment. Public speaking before audiences is required from time to time. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Technical: Operate digital cinema projectors (primary formats DCP, Blu-ray, DVD and Mac-based digital files), sound and lighting equipment, Skype, and related equipment.
- Content creation: Prepare and screen all film trailers, custom promotional bumpers, create occassional presentation and other custom slides.
- Print traffic and revision: Shipping and receiving of projection copies; inspection, preparation and testing of all projection copies.
- Quality control: Oversee picture and sound quality throughout each show.
- Special events: Duties as assigned to ensure high-quality presentation of live events, rooftop screenings, facility rentals and other special theater events.
- Technical oversight: Oversee telephone, internet, and cable/satellite services and assist with other technical issues as needed.
- Maintenance and preventative repair experience: Oversight of regularly scheduled maintenance of all booth equipment, and any necessary repair or upgrades.
- Secondary tasks: From time to time, as volunteer staffing requires, assist with concessions and box office support, line wrangling, and other operational support as needed.
- Management: Oversee additional hourly student projectionists, coordinate scheduling, arrange substitutes, and conduct regular reviews of staff, oversee a safe working environment
- FilmScene is looking for a person who believes in and is engaged in our mission, and is eager to contribute to a growing organization. This person should exhibit exceptional judgment, be well-organized, dedicated, efficient and communicative. She or he should have an understanding of and appreciation for the FilmScene mission. Applicants should have:
- Projection experience: A minimum of two years experience as a Projectionist are ideal but not required.
- Computer and software skills: A wide range of skills on both PC and Mac operating systems.
- Film and sound editing: Understanding of and experience with film and sound editing for the creation of custom content.
- Ability to communicate effectively: Ability to communicate quickly, clearly and effectively via email and phone with theater management, projection staff and vendors regarding programs, events and booth maintenance.
- Troubleshooting ability: Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong, and to initiate troubleshooting steps to work towards a resolution. Ability to work under pressure and resolve emergency situations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule: weekend, nights and holidays are required.
- Familiarity with 35mm and 16mm film projection is desirable.
- The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds, including while climbing the stairs.
- Vision requirements are critical to the position and include close and distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The projectionist must have the ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer). Acute ability to ensure that an image is in focus is crucial.
- The projectionist must be able to discriminate visual colors (the ability to match or detect differences between colors, including shades of color and brightness).
- Hearing requirements are critical to the position. The projectionist must have the ability to detect or tell the difference between sounds that vary in pitch and loudness. The projectionist must be able to identify the location of any sound or speaker issue in the case of error or problem.
Reports to director. Works closely with the board of directors, FilmsScene programming director, director of operations, associate director and other projectionists.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to FilmScene director, Andy Brodie: firstname.lastname@example.org
All email applications should have the following text in the subject header: FilmScene – Head Projectionist.
Any questions can also be directed to Andy Brodie email@example.com
Application Deadline: preference given to applications received by Monday, July 21, 2014
FilmScene is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment.