FilmScene to add Executive Director
JUNE 17, 2014 — FilmScene announced today that it will be conducting a search to add an Executive Director to the non-profit cinema’s leadership team.
The desired candidate will help meet FilmScene’s growing organizational needs, lead development and fundraising efforts and build on greater than anticipated attendance.
Andy Brodie, FilmScene co-founder and current Director, will be named FilmScene’s Director of Programming, where he will expand his focus on curating films and building community partnerships.
“I am so excited for this opportunity to hire a new Executive Director for FilmScene while concurrently making Mr. Brodie our Programming Director,” said Andre Perry, FilmScene board member and chair of the search committee. “It has always been our goal to build a strategic team that balances Mr. Brodie’s programming and community-building vision with a strong development and growth-focused executive. We are just happy we are able to make that jump so quickly. FilmScene’s strategic team will be a creative force that further strengthen’s the culture of arts organizations in Iowa City.”
Founded in 2011 by Brodie and Andrew Sherburne, FilmScene’s currently operates the 67-seat Scene 1 Cinema on the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City, with plans to open two additional downtown screens in three to four years. Since opening in December of 2013, the organization has surpassed 15,000 admissions, well ahead of projected response.
“The community’s response to FilmScene has been incredibly positive both in terms of attendance and positive feedback regarding the full-time return of movies to downtown,” said Brodie. “With a background in film programming, I’m thrilled to continue building FilmScene to better serve the community with new film programs and expansion plans for two additional screens and a media arts lab for education and outreach.”
The Executive Director will join a leadership team which includes Brodie, Associate Director Sherburne and Director of Operations Emily Salmonson. Potential applicants are requested to apply by July 1.
118 E. College Street, Suite 101
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
JOB POSTING – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Date of Hire: Open until filled
Full-time, at will, exempt position
Reports to Board of Directors
FilmScene is currently looking to fill the position of Executive Director. This person must be able to build on the early successes of FilmScene, maintain and further community partnerships, plan and develop a sustainable and successful funding program, work cooperatively with a Board of Directors, and manage/work with a staff, a steadily growing group of volunteers, and a growing membership. The position offers the opportunity to lead a new organization and help shape its development as well as its strategic plan. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, supervises an executive staff of 3, works with over 50 community groups and organizations, and supports a membership of over 800 members.
FilmScene is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching the cultural vitality of the Iowa City area through film that challenges, inspires, educates and entertains. FilmScene operates a full-time community–supported cinema in downtown Iowa City on the Pedestrian Mall. Opening full-time in December, 2013, FilmScene offers an intimate single-screen venue showcasing the best in American independent, documentary, and international filmmaking. During the spring, summer and fall months, FilmScene also offers a second venue for outdoor roof-top film showings.
Co-founded by Andy Brodie and Andrew Sherburne, FilmScene has been a success from the start. In its first five months of operation, it has generated wide-ranging support and enthusiastic audiences from Iowa City and the surrounding areas as well as from University of Iowa students, faculty and staff. Special events, repertory selections, arts education, filmmaker support and community development are all program areas of prime importance to FilmScene.
FilmScene partners with the Bijou Film Board of the University of Iowa and also works closely with community organizations such as the Englert Theatre, the University of Iowa Museum of Art, the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, and the Downtown Association.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION/RESPONSIBILITIES
FilmScene is seeking an Executive Director skilled in the areas of fundraising, non-profit Board development and support, organizational management, staff management, human resource management, and community relations.
- Responsible for the overall leadership of FilmScene; manages the day to day administration of the organization; oversees all aspects including operations, fundraising, membership, programming, marketing and public relations.
- Serves as the primary public face of FilmScene in the community as well as the media; ensures the mission and programs of FilmScene are well represented throughout the community.
- Develops organizational goals; sets yearly calendar and objectives.
- Cultivates and supports a strong Board of Directors; works closely with Board Chair; works to maintain a productive relationship between board, staff and volunteers; serves on the Executive Committee of the Board.
- Ensures sound financial planning and fiscal management; prepares budget for board approval; manages organization resources within budget guidelines.
- Manages the human resources of the organization; maintains a culture conducive to staff and volunteer development and growth; develops a work environment that attracts, motivates, and maintains a highly skilled and diverse staff.
- Develops both short and long-range fundraising strategies for the organization; identifies funding resources and drives all contributed income activities including sponsorships, annual giving, capitol campaigns, and membership drives.
- Develops strong relationships with individual, business and corporate donors; manages all donor communications.
- Works closely with the Bijou Film Director and Board which is funded by student activity fees; maintains excellent relations with the University of Iowa.
- Creates positive and supportive partnerships within the community and the university; creates an environment and a flexible facility that promotes educational and programming partnerships.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree or four years equivalent education
- At least 3 years of experience working in management, arts administration or the non-profit sector
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong fundraising and grant writing experience
- Strong experience in developing and managing donor relations
- Public speaking skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience working with Boards of Directors, hiring and evaluating staff, and partnering with community groups and organizations
- An understanding of and appreciation of FilmScene’s mission
- A passion for film and education outreach through film
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Search Committee Chair, Andre Perry: firstname.lastname@example.org
All email applications should have the following text in the subject header:
FilmScene – Executive Director.
Any questions can also be directed to Andre Perry at: email@example.com
Application Deadline: Tuesday, July 1
FilmScene is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment.